Thursday, October 18, 2007

92. Reunited...

For Sunday 14 Oct

...and it feels so...overwhelming!

When I left for vacation I decided to go sans laptop. I felt I needed some time away. I needed some analog interactions with the world. I left for the airport with a book and a journal.

In the first hours, I was veritably anxious. In the security line, though clearly it was EASIER to get on without the unloading of at least one if not two laptops, I just kept feeling I was missing something. I felt uneasy.

In the next phase, on the flight, I was reading and was getting agitated every time a question or reference came up, because I wasn't sure how I'd look up the answer or connect to the details. What was I supposed to do--write it down and remember to look later? in FOUR DAYS!?

That night, I was having phantom pains of my laptop. Could I really sleep without checking email or surfing for the answers to that day's questions?

Day 2 I woke and was busy from the start: breakfast with the ladies and then getting ready for competition. But between heavy foundation and dark eye-shadow there was a break...I couldn't help it: I decided to try the TV Email. Then another rush of folk for the eyeshadow. Then only 15 minutes for email. When I got in, it was $12.99 so I bailed. Restrained. Deep breath and I figured it was for the best.

Day 5 and I'm on the way home. Totally relaxed and doing just fine in analog life. Having a nice conversation with the gentleman on the plane, attending a block party in the neighbourhood, having a nice dinner out with our new neighbour friends Sapna and Pankaj. And then it hits. What is waiting for me in the inbox? What will I have to do? How will I keep up?

And I'm back online.

No comments: