Friday, July 27, 2007

13. Fly Through the Air...

Today was the annual family picnic for Ross's work.

They rented out the Shoreline Amphitheatre.

There were rides...

Food Galore...(this from the hot dog bar, replete with at least 6 kinds of dogs)

Midway games...

And [Ross's Workplace] Idol (and really the feeling was akin to being in Cameron Stadium with spirit bubbling over the top)!

There was even a circus!

Throngs of people crowd the midway, playing games, stocking up on treats and taking in the entertainers strolling around or propped up on stages. In the main arena: acrobats and entertainers. Swept away by strange accordion music and twirling gymnastic marvels, it's hard not to feel happy.

And then the best-for-last appears, the trapeze artist--a small woman in a black suit, hoisted up via pulley system to her swing. Just like a toddler at the park, a man gives her a push and then she's moving. Her tricks are not as complicated or marvelous as the acrobats or contortionist, probably not even as fancy as the juggler. But it's what the audience has been waiting for and it's mesmerizing.

Back and forth, back and forth, a live pendulum. There's a desire to hop on with her, a feeling of flying. As a child I would swing for hours and hours, wind in my hair, feet pumping. I would sing songs and wish on clouds and imagine that anything was possible, that the world--everything under the big sky I was flying through--was mine.

She's really high up, that trapeze angel. With each forward rise, I want to jump. Jump out into the big blue sky, jump out and claim whatever is waiting where I land.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

E -
enough photos?
food photo just for you :-)

Erin and Diane said...

love it, thanks!! what a cool event to hit in his first week. erin's workplace is renting out six flags but erin will be in italy on that day.