Sunday, July 15, 2007

1. Goodbye Again








Miles Traveled: 360
Progress: 16%

For the 9th time in ten years, here I go again - the excitement and the heartbreak of moving. This time, I have the distinct feeling we're going home which is odd but reassuring, and but for Erin popping her head out the door to scold me for the tears, I don't have the urge to look back.

Driving across the heartland, I wonder: if everything I need for the next two months is in this car, what the heck is still back at the house? We discuss job opportunities, grocery shopping, the cat's puke, whether the phenomenon of truck stops exists in other countries (FYI: largest truck stop on I80 in Iowa), and what settlers were thinking when they said, "Hey let's settle right here."

Perhaps they simply thought, "We have everything we need: our tools, water, land as far as the eye can see, and the company of friends. Why search any further?" I know the place we are going will have all we need to thrive. But we left behind some dear, dear friends. As Bryan said, "This is the saddest I've been in a long time."

Good Night, friends. May the wagons circle about you, keeping the warmth in and the danger out.

1 comment:

Erin and Diane said...

Yay a blog! Can't wait to hear about more adventures. We couldn't have had a more perfect ending to our time together in Chicago, eh? It ain't over though, you're going to find us on your doorstep many a time. Happy trails!