Thursday, November 8, 2007

117. Welcome our New Baby!

Ross and I are notoriously bad at making difficult decisions. In our work over the last decade, requirements definition is something we're both really good at--and we seem to have a talent for coming up with infinitely more complex requirements scenarios each time we face a life decision. But after much deliberation, we did decide what Ross will be driving to work - a 1970s BMW 2002.

So we returned to the garage tonight to check out his options. There were several 2002s that we drove (and I also insisted that we drive the 3.0 coupes too since I want that to be my car--very sweet ride). We kept poor Evan Esterman of BimmerBrothers.net there for quite a while as we debated and test drove a series of cars, and he shared the histories and intricate workings of each of them.

Alas! We will take this orange 1976 (what a good year!) 2002; it is perfect. All original, Cali car so sweet you could eat it up! So we pay the man and we'll get her sometime next week all fixed up and raring to go.

Strike that. Ross left his driver's license with Evan, so now has to go back and get it. So I get a call that he wants to take the green 1974 (the year Ross was born) 2002tii euro that's sitting right now in L.A. Ok, I say. (Good Grief).

So, welcome our new baby. But don't welcome it like you would an orange one, welcome it like the green-haired, one-european-owner step-child with perfect maintenance records that it is. Ross's new green driving machine.

7 comments:

Lora said...

For some reason, I just feel that a round of applause is neccessary!

You know you want to go back and get the orange one for yourself ;-)

Tracy said...

if that orange car was automatic, i think i would go get it for myself. but then again the 3.0 coupe is automatic...i'm on the verge...Evan said he'd sell our car for free if we took both...dreamy. Appreciates in value. It's just a risk with two classic cars...what do you think? Should I go for it, or stay with a modern car?

Lora said...

it depends on whether or not procreating is in the plan...

Tracy said...

the beautiful thing about this car is that it is appreciating. if i want a different one in a year or so, it's really no big whoop to trade it. except that i will have to make a car decision again (which my brain may not be able to handle) :-)

ross thinks risky not to have at least one modern car, but man...she does drive like a dream my 3.0 coupe, snow white.

MDH said...

I'm confused about "orange 1976...2002" and "green 1974 ... 2002tii euro..."
What is the "2002" that follows each description?
If the 1974 is in L.A., then he hasn't driven that one, yes? You're going to buy it without driving it? Hmmm Maybe you should buy the orange one to cover your butts. Now THERE'S a rationale for ya! Why would you EVER want to be practical. That's for gray-haired ladies who aren't grandmas yet.

Anonymous said...

I vote for one modern car.

Lora said...

Alright missy, I need an update!